Saturday, July 04, 2009

Frost/Nixon

I give it a 7 out of 10 on the JWo scale. I freely admit I like historical stuff particularly about this time period for it was when I came of age politically. If you dont like historical docudramas this would be a snore. Great acting by all parties. A little slow moving at times. It reinforced my original feelings about the interviews which were that in general they were favorable to Nixon (with the one major exception. This is historical stuff, so I am not giving anything away here). It reinforced an image of Nixon as a brilliant but paranoid, lonely, bitter, petty man. It really showed David Frost though to be a bit of a glory hound and a buffoon. I was surprised by that. Whenever there are historical movies, I always try to remember that it is not real history, just someones depiction of history. I felt the movie created caricatures of the individuals and didn’t really show the depth of who they were. Of course it was focusing one set of events but I was left wondering if this was what they were really like.

No comments: