Monday, August 29, 2005

Movie Review - Lord of the Rings

Or a better title might be "The emperors new clothes" It has been many years since I was supposed to read the Lord of the Rings in school, and was so bored by it, I bought the Cliff notes. (did you hear Mr. Cliff the originator of the Cliff notes died this year - its true). I know the books are held in high reverence by many, and I respect that, but I look at this movie as someone just viewing it as a movie, not some quasi religious experience some people take it for. I think everybody wants to love it for that reason. The acting is quite good for what is a long boring tedious story. I think it is just one level above the movie Krull only because of the stunningly beautiful scenic shots. However, I think a travel brochure to New Zealand would have done that trick. And the ending - what a disappointment. Again, I am sure devotees and acolytes of the book, probably love the ending, but to me even a movie set to be a trilogy, should have a complete storyline for each part of the trilogy. I think the analogy of Star Wars works here. There was an ending for each part, even though the endings set the stage for further movies. This is a grade B sci-fi fantasy movie, hyped up by Hollywood because it is based on a classic book. I see it for what it is. Don't believe the hype, believe your eyes and ears. And you will have to listen very carefully, as it is next to impossible to understand half the muttering in the movie. And don't drink a soda during the movie unless you have a strong bladder - at almost three hours, its tough to make it without a bathroom run. Although the only good thing is you wont miss much.

No comments: