Friday, March 19, 2010

The Time Travellers Wife – a 5 out of 10 on the Jay Wolin Movie Rating Scale

It was an interesting movie, but I cant say I really liked it. A man who travels in time, but uncontrolled, so he appears and disappears unexpectedly. He travels to similar locations at different times. So of course he runs into the same people. Now I found it a little creepy that as an adult, he kept going back to meet this young girl who would eventually be his wife. Maybe this is some fantasy, but it certainly felt like manipulation of a young mind for his personal needs. Even the girl grown up says “I really didn’t have a choice” Was it inevitable fate that drew them together across time? I guess that is the message of the movie which I didn’t like. We are fated to our destiny with no way to change it. The corresponding positive message is if we know our fate, to accept it, and to therefore appreciate every moment that we do have with the people we love. Of course the movie has some time travel anomalies, like why could he go and meet himself in the past and change how his younger self dealt with the death of his mother, but he could not go to the past and change other events and people. But mostly I objected to the concept of the movie, that we can not change our future, that our life, our destiny is mapped out for us waiting to unfold. That is not my theology, that is not my belief. I will just have to wait and let my life continue to unfold until I find out if I am right :)

No comments: