Thursday, July 30, 2009

Mindful meanderings

July 29th

One of the readings from my class suggested journaling as a spiritual practice and gave a framework within which to write and think about it. I will attempt this for a time and see how it goes. I will try to set aside at least 30 minutes each day for this and 30 minutes each day for meditation as a way to be intentional about a spiritual discipline.

Plants – think about your plant…so I bought a plant for this project. I went in and asked the store person for a plant that would be very hard to kill. That is a sad statement….but true…I just have not worked with plants a lot. I wanted something that would be outside. So I know plants need water. So I guess this points to the issue of paying attention to the plant and becoming aware of what it will need. Plants are such good metaphors for life. If you care for it it will grow. Water it, as you would water your soul. Pay attention to it and care for it, as you should pay attention and care for your soul. I think my plant needs water….I think I need some water…..

Animals – I have 2 dogs and four cats. Technically some of the pets are the children’s but I end up taking care of them. They are apart of my family. The cats name in order of age oldest to youngest are Cloud, Sally, Zelda, and Cory. The dogs are Linus and Fox. Really technically only Linus is mine. He is an Australian Shepard. He is about 9 ½ years old. He is starting to slow down. He is my protector, sitting by my feet, getting between me and others whenever he senses anything wrong. I am glad to see that he has taken up doing the same for my granddaughter Scarlett. He is a noble dog with a deep soul. He is quite gentle, and prefers to love others versus receiveing love. Yet he does love a good stomach rub. I have always been a dog person.

Thoughts – I have been quite mellow today, oddly enough…..I really cant explain it, although I have been meditating longer and longer each morning (when I do meditate in the morning). I meditated for 30 minutes this morning. It puts me in such a good frame of mind and I would say makes me more productive and aware….so of course I wonder why I don’t do it more often. I have been really missing Will more than I expected. I really have to finalize my plans for class in the fall.

I went to pick up kyle from his friends and we went out to lunch together. We had a good time and as always shared about everything and nothing….and on the ride home we shared listening to each others music, although we have veto power over particular songs if they are too raunchy for me or too mellow for him….he says I have a lot of weird music I listen to (Little Feat)….its so interesting to hear others perspectives….

No comments: