Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Poem - True Understanding


True Understanding

I feel the wind whistling by
I watch grass shake as the wind blows it.
I hear the waves crashing on the shore
Cold breath invades my nostrils
The sun blinds my computer screen
The computer blocks my view of the beach
I put away my computer
and write with pencil and pad
my thumb hurts from writing
due to a injury long ago forgotten
so I put down my pencil
and pick up my head
and admire and enjoy
all the sights
and sounds
and smells
around me
I still notice
Life in all its abundance
I still live
I move my sunglasses on and off
To see with different perspectives
I see the sand on the bluff
with the vast blue ocean behind it.
As if climbing reaching upward
Trying to get to the water
And pool clearers cleaning
And leave blowers blowing
And I, writing exploring, wondering
Like the sand trying to reach the ocean
Not ever realizing it is on a bluff
But still I reach
Still I wonder
Knowing true understanding
Is beyond my reach
But I am closer
than if I didn’t try
And I have learned some things
And I have experienced some things
As I dream
And reach for
The ocean of understanding
Just over the bluff.

No comments: