Monday, July 02, 2012

Abe Lincoln - Vampire Hunter

Movie Review – “Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter” 4 out of 10 on the JayWo scale of movie ratings.  I don’t know, maybe I am just tired of vampire movies.  Ok, I am really tired of vampire movies. You may ask, Jay if you are really tired of Vampire movies, why do you go to them? That would be a good question.  We have a rule here since our tastes in movies are so diverse, that each time we go to a movie, we trade off on who gets to choose the movie.  Each of us has the right to veto the others choice, but as in politics, we have to be careful not to use the veto power too often lest we build up animosity around movie choices.  So I like Lincoln of course, and thought it a clever twist on mixing history with fantasy so I agreed not to veto the movie.  To give you an idea of the historical movie I like, would be the 2010 movie “Conspirator” about Mary Surratt’s role in the Lincoln assassination.  

What I really objected to about this movie was that it blames this country’s history regarding slavery and prejudice on vampires. I know you are thinking no one will really believe that.  But on a subconscious level, this country does not want to believe we could do such things.  We don’t want to take responsibility for the errors we have made in our past (let alone our present).  On some level, we can look at this and say it was not humans who caused us to do this.  Is our culture’s obsession with vampires a way of seeing the dark side of ourselves as something other worldly, caused by something outside of ourselves?   We need to look at ourselves in our entirety, with all our good and evil and work to reconcile those with the world.  That would be an interesting movie to me, although I am sure Jan would veto seeing it (and I would have to wait for the DVD or go alone once she returns to Florida).

No comments: