Thursday, July 05, 2012

Moonrise Kingdom – an 8 on the JayWo Scale of movie rating.

I really liked this movie.  It is a multi-layered, beautifully aesthetic movie that has deep metaphorical meaning.  I admit I tend to like these sort of movies that speak to a time of coming of age, where youth speak what they think, and act on their emotions despite their fear.  I am also sentimental about camp movies (although I was only a boy scout for 3 days) as I went to sleep away camp for about 5 years and it was a very formative experience for me.  This movie speaks to the sadness, loneliness and pain in the world along with the  wonder, adventure and hope in the world. It speaks to how we can be bold, how we have to take risks to achieve what we need, but also that we can help others find what they need, and in doing so help ourselves.  There is so much more to this well made and intelligent movie, but I will leave the rest for you to see and think about as I think about it some more.

No comments: